24.9.10

Vintage Halloween



I've always loved the look of vintage decor ~ especially around the holidays ~ and thought I'd try my hand at a little something as Halloween is right around the corner and because a good friend of mine has a big Halloween bash every year and goes all out in her decorations. This will be for her!

A couple of months ago, my local Tall Mouse craft store was going out of business and I found a frame there for a couple of dollars; one of those brown paper ones that are just begging to be altered in some way. Originally, I was going to do something with all of the Starbucks cards I've collected but they're all still sitting in my drawer waiting for a different rainy day.

First thing I did was to go through all of the scrapbook papers I have and select some that looked somewhat vintage and would be appropriate for Halloween (colors and such). Then I cut them into squares and followed that up by painting the outside edges and inside of the frame bronze.




Once I had all of my squares cut and the paint had dried, I started decoupaging them onto my prepared frame using Mod Podge. Any finish will work but I used gloss-lustre to glue down and to cover the entire frame (twice) when I finished with the squares.





After all of my squares were in place, I went over them with some brown ink (color used was Close to Cocoa), gave that a couple minutes to dry and then put on my two coats of Mod Podge. Then I added some book binding tape from 7gypsies that I've had forEVer all around the edge (with just a bit to spare - woo hoo!)



When I finished that, I went trolling around on Google for vintage Halloween images and found an adorable one of some little trick-or-treaters. I saved the image and fussed around with it at Picnik until I had it just right. Then I printed it out, trimmed it down and adhered it to a background that I put in the center of the frame (used one of the papers I'd chosen for my little squares), Mod Podged the heck out of it and sprinkled a bit of clear glitter over the image. Et Voila!


Then I thought it needed a little something more so I added a bit of black ribbon.


Then I was happy with it and I know my friend will enjoy it!

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up           party!


5 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I love that you took something so plain and boring and gave it SO much unique character. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vivienne :-) I had a lot of fun making it and am happy with the way it turned out. Vintage is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. I'm not good at having ideas but i'm great at coping...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Haley!

    I know what you mean Susan! Copy away...

    Annalea

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails