25.9.10

Halloween Coasters


One of the cool things I love about Michael's is their discount bins; it's usually a great place to find items that you can play around with and end up with something really great.

Take these very vanilla coasters....


Only $1 and just begging to be fancied up and since I'm on a vintage Halloween kick right now, I thought it would be great to pick some images that I really liked, cut them to size and adhere them with Mod Podge (great stuff!). There's no real tutorial for this but you get the idea.




Aren't they sweet? I put some self-adhesive cork on the back (which you can find at Target in the contact paper section) and then took a sanding block to the edges to give them a bit of a distressed look which I emphasized with some ink. A couple of coats of Mod Podge on the image and a bit of clear glitter in some strategic places (unfortunately it doesn't show up on the photos) completed them.

Can't you just picture them underneath some creepy Halloween cocktail or a steaming mug of mulled apple cider? In fact, they'd be cute stacked up and tied with big fat ribbon and a sweet hand-stamped tag. I'm already picturing Christmas and Valentine coasters....

12 comments:

  1. I love the images you used!!! They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Did you download them? If so, where? Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies! aren't the pics fun? i just searched google images for 'vintage halloween pictures'. there are lots of them there you're sure to love. have fun!

    annalea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these. How easy?! I love the vintage look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off to Google images...thanks! I received a wooden block YEARS ago with that same beautiful broom-riding witch, and I'd love to make something to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are awesome (and such a great deal!) Saw you at Amy's Notebook, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE these! Thanks for helping those of us with limited creativity. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

    Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/halloween-round-up/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, this is awesome, Annalea! Great blog.
    Brandon C

    ReplyDelete
  10. These coasters inspired my own vintage craft, and the end product has real sentimental value for me. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    I posted photos of my project on my blog, and linked back to this post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! So, I'm curious, how did the Mod Podge hold up under condensation from glasses and over time?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails