20.1.10

Coconut Oil Deodorant


I absolutely love handmade spa and beauty products; making my own face masks and body scrubs....it's fun, wonderfully economical and I love the herbal smells that fill my bathroom and shower when I use them. There's also the added benefit of actually knowing what the ingredients are that I'm putting onto my skin and since I've heard a lot about the aluminium salts used in many antiperspirants (to block the pores so you don't perspire) can get into breast tissue and has a potential link with breast cancer. This, in my opinion, makes the use of a natural deodorant even more appealing.

Knowing this, I've tried several over the counter natural deodorants (won't name any names here) that haven't worked for me at all ~ not as far as odor is concerned anyway and who wants to be dry but still smell? "Not I," said the Little Red Hen.

Okay, segue into my journey with raw foods (more about that in a future blog) and using coconut oil in my diet for it's many health benefits and I find that it's also used as a beauty product and.....as an ingredient in natural deodorant which you can easily make yourself.


There are recipes all over the net for making this but the recipe is generally the same all around:

4-5 tablespoons of melted virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder (I use cornstarch)


Mix everything together (it will have the consistency of thin pancake batter) and pour it into a re-purposed deodorant container or into a small lidded jar. That's all there is to it! Just be sure to keep your deodorant in the refrigerator if you use your old container as I did. When I'm going to need it, after I shower for example, I simply take it out before I get in so that it softens up a bit and goes on easily (be sure to put it back into the refrigerator when you're done). You could also just keep it in a jar in your bathroom, scoop out a small amount when you want to use it and rub it onto your armpits.

A couple of things to note:

* you may need to rub it in a bit before you get dressed
* a bit of white may get on your clothes if you don't rub it in
* this deodorant works so wonderfully that you can easily go longer than a day without using more. I know this may gross you out but it's totally true.
* it smells WONDERFUL! I remember having my husband smell me several times throughout the day when I first started using it - I was SO amazed by it!



Add a pretty label to your container and make some for yourself to feel pretty and healthy and make some for your friends who will be just as amazed as you are by how well it works!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I have been interested in switching to non-aluminumized deodorant, but was wary about spending $8 on a deodorant stick no one could tell me anything about. What if they didn't work? I'll take your word for it that this stuff works.

    By the way, I think your new blog idea is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathleen ~ it really is amazing how well it works. You'll probably spend more than $8 on getting all of your ingredients together but once you have them you're set for quite a while. Be sure to post back once you try it; I just know you'll love it!

    I'm glad you like the blog (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this. Where do you typically find coconut oil? Your average grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using this recipe (and I just reminded everyone on my blog) since the beginning of summer. There's nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails